OK, I confess. When Marvel announced the production of an upcoming superhero team-up movie called Guardians of the Galaxy (GOTG), I was quick to earmark it as a major potential to be come the first Marvel Comic Movie flop. After all, it has all the ingredients of a flop splashed all over it – Unknown actors/actresses, barely half the team are played by real humans, not popularly known comic characters, another team-up right on the heels of The Avengers?!, another Marvel movie almost immediately after Captain America 2?, space adventure = no danger to Earth, etc. And besides, Marvel just has to have a flop sometime soon…..right?
Anyway, many moons have passed since my knee-jerk judgment. Since then, they have released a pretty cool trailer. Check it out below:
And I have to totally retract my earlier statement. Now I firmly believe that GOTG is gonna be one of the bigger, if not the BIGGEST movie this summer.
Here are FIVE reasons why:
1. Anti-Heroism. There is just something about being a badass, anti-hero type that appeals to the current generation of movie-goers. Not sure if this was heavily influenced by good ol’ Wolverine himself, but it is a fact that people tend to prefer the naughty heroes compared to the goody-two shoes type, like erm…Cyclops? And in GOTG, we not only get one anti-hero, but FIVE of them…all on the same screen! You’re Welcome.
2. Rocket Raccoon is CUTE! Where else can you find a gun-toting, tactical specialist, demolitions expert, sarcastic, fouled-mouthed hero all bundled into one cute furry Raccoon? If all else fails (eg. plot, action sequences, acting, special effects, etc.) GOTG can always depend on good old Rocky to pull in the crowd of kids who should in turn pull in their parents too! Can already foresee what this summer’s hottest plush toy will be…
3. Tie-In to Avengers 2 and 3. As it was teased in the end credits of The Avengers that Thanos would be appearing sometime, somewhere in a Marvel movie (possibly Avengers 3), there is a very strong link between GOTG and The Avengers by way of Thanos! For example, Gamora is apparently the adopted daughter of Thanos and Drax was actually specially constructed and designed to destroy Thanos! It’s no wonder Marvel smartly chose GOTG as a link to connect Thanos to the Avengers, eventually. So in short…if you’re excited about The Avengers, you gotta watch GOTG to complete all links. You’re Welcome.
4. Human Leader. OK, OK. Not entirely true. Although GOTG’s leader, Starlord is actually a human/Spartoi hybrid, he doesn’t have any enhanced superpowers. Armed with his blasters and wise-cracking mouth, he is ultimately a hero everyone of us can identify with. Becoming like Drax, Gamora or even Groot is fantasy, but everyone can dream of becoming another Peter Quill, right? 😛 And that is very important in attracting the masses! You’re Welcome.
5. Flexibility. Although many may claim GOTG are not as well known compared to the likes of Iron Man, Thor, Cap, etc. I would like to believe that that fact may actually work to the advantage of GOTG. By having less ‘picky’ eyes on certain characters or even comic-book material to work from, this would actually give the director more freedom in creating a really fun, humourous, swashbuckling space adventure that people would enjoy. Even the trailer and promo teasers so far is quite unorthodox and refreshing from other Marvel projects, and this just gives me a good feeling about the movie. You’re Welcome.
Are you ready for GOTG this August?